NNU Mental Health Policy

Download the policy in a document here.

Undergraduate Policy for Mental Health and Residential Hall Living
1. Purpose of This Policy
2. Student Supports / Resources
3. Behaviors Potentially Inconsistent with Campus Residential Living
5. Leaves of Absence - Voluntary and Involuntary
6. Appeal Process
7. Re-entry Process
8. Academic Withdrawal / Registrar’s Processes
At NNU, it is our goal to provide undergraduate students with the resources to become fully successful in every area of their lives: intellectual, social, physical and spiritual. During periods of adjustment or crisis, or in the event of a medical or mental health issue, some students may have difficulty coping and this may lead to behaviors or actions that have a negative effect on others. If a student is struggling to the point that their behaviors or actions are causing concern as noted by faculty, staff, or peers, the concerns may be brought before the Behavior Assessment and Recommendation Team (BART).  The goal of the BART is to assess the concern and make recommendations for appropriate interventions for both the individual student and those potentially affected by the situation.  The ultimate goal is the well-being of both the individual and the campus community.
For students who are struggling with behavioral, mental, or medical health issues, resources are available both on-campus and in the surrounding Nampa community.  Campus resources include:

  • Counseling Services, provided by licensed clinical counselors, NNU Wellness Center
  • Campus Pastors
  • Health Services, provided by a registered nurse, NNU Wellness Center
  • Academic Advising staff
  • Residential Life staff
  • Other on-campus staff and mentors
  • Referrals to off-campus psychiatric or medical resources are available through the NNU Wellness Center
There are several student behaviors that may indicate a need for a Voluntary or Involuntary Leave of Absence from campus residential living. Some of these may also have legal implications.  These behaviors include, but are not limited to:
  • threat of imminent harm to others;
  • repeated threat of harm to self, or actual harm to self that leads to negative impact on the other students in the residence hall to the point of distress or impairment in important areas of functioning;
  • other behaviors that lead to negative impact on other students in the resident hall to the point of distress or impairment in important areas of functioning;
  • use or distribution of drugs or alcohol in the residence hall.

If one or more of these concerns applies to a particular student, for the safety and well-being of that student and/or other students or employees, the BART may recommend the student take a Voluntary Leave of Absence from living in the residence hall.  If the student declines to leave voluntarily, the BART may recommend that the Director of Residential Life issue an Involuntary Leave of Absence.  This does not immediately disqualify the student from returning to the residence hall, although steps to ensure the safety of the student and the other students of the residence hall may be reviewed before the student is allowed to return.
If a student has been issued an Involuntary Leave of Absence and they want to challenge it, they may appeal by submitting a written letter to the Vice President of Student Development.
If a student chooses to take a Voluntary Leave of Absence, he or she may reapply to live in that or another residence hall on campus at any point in the future. If a student has been required to take an Involuntary Leave of Absence for any reason, they must wait until the following semester to reapply to live in that or any other residence hall. In the process of reapplying, proof may be requested that the issue which instigated the initial Leave of Absence has been resolved or addressed appropriately. All requests to live in on-campus residence halls are to be submitted to the Director of Residential Life.
Sometimes it is in a student’s best interest to withdraw from classes for a time period. If this is necessary, withdrawal forms can be found online at
If a break is needed and a student wishes to complete his or her classes at a later date, it may be possible to request incompletes in those classes. This form can be found online at
Students can get help with this process from several sources, including the counselors at the NNU Wellness Center, Academic Advising offices, or the campus Registrar’s office. In cases of medical emergencies, a student may petition through the registrar’s office to have the “W” of a withdrawn class removed from their academic record.

Note:  Possible BART members:  Campus Safety, Resident Director(s), Clinical Counselor(s), Disability Services, Title IX Representative, Retention